Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww


Coprophagia literally means eating poop. Wait, wait, wait, wait! Before you say I've lost my mind: 1. You can't lose something you never had and 2. this is a blunt reality that we all need to face. Dogs eat cat poop. I don't know why and not many do. Little research has been done on this gruesome phenomenon. I can't believe there's no funding out there. Some dogs even eat... dare I say it?... they eat tampons. EWWWWW! Yes ewwwwwwww. Thus the title of this post. Its all like a dog version of Salò, maybe less disturbing. But did you know that dogs aren't the only animals that eat poop? Rodents, gorillas, various insects and Germans digest poop on a regular basis.

Herbivores such as rabbits and rodents do it cause their plant-only diet is hard to digest. Therefore they make two passes to absorb as much nutrition as possible. Kind of like chewing cud, but horrific.

Some Vets believe that Canids (coyotes, foxes and wolves included) do it because "it" contains necessary vitamins produced by intestinal bacteria thats otherwise inaccessible. So they eat poop. Dogs and some other animals also get protein this way. Dogs are particularly fond of cat poop because its high in protein and because they hate us so very much.

Now Weegee aint no fiend! Don't get me wrong, he grazes once in a while and that's what terrible even inspired this all. But believe me, I've known men who were much worse.*




*(I'd just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to put a link in that last sentence, but supposedly "civility" is necessary.)

2 comments:

  1. There's an entire website dedicated to answering this quite grotesque phenomena:

    http://why-dogs-eat-poop.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why isn't Blogger telling me you're posting? Ugh, good thing I checked, just to be sure. I was all "Weegee has GOT to have eaten SOMETHING, it's been fucking days!"

    ReplyDelete