Thursday, February 5, 2009

Dog Overdose Revisited/Fuck the ASPCA

The ASPCA and my Vet are full of capitalist shit. Yes. Capitalist shit. I turn my back for a second, random emergency arises (with something placed out of dog reach, mind you) and no one would talk to me until I gave them lots of money. Now this is my first time without health insurance or a job. These days are not economically "normal" for anyone (except my Vet) and I've been running on about twenty five dollars a week. Question posed to the fine folks at the ASPCA and their Animal Poison Control Center, what are we poor folks supposed to do? Apparently we don't deserve help and our pets can fuck off. (Tantalizing information- Weegee was adopted from the ASPCA in the first place, but don't deserve no help.) Later in the evening joked to a friend that if Weegee had indeed died, I'd have had a great lawsuit. Or at least a scathing and scandalous tabloid letter for the NY Post.

BUT OH, OH, OH! My Vet got snappy when I told her about my finances. She said I was a bad pet owner cause I lacked dog health insurance. Dog health insurance. Promptly gave her some proletariat what for and made her sound guilty. Besides, without my own health insurance, the fucking dog ate about a gold brick's worth of pills in the first place! Everything is OK now. I Googled how to induce dog vomiting and he's been happy ever since. Thanks Internet! Even I'm a doctor these days.

In light of this episode however, can we hurry it up Barack? I can't thrive off hope alone and the dog might very well eat change.

2 comments:

  1. This post is perfect.

    My own health insurance is going to double on March 1st, to TWO HUNDRED FIFTY dollars a month. Yay, time for a student plan that won't cover birth control because that would be wrong, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em - you are probably eligible for Family Health Plus through NYS:
    http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/fhplus/who_can_join.htm#familysizex

    And I know you'll bristle at the idea, but Starbucks offers health insurance to part-time workers. I know they are closing stores, but...

    ReplyDelete